SC - Judging-OT

Brenna sunnie at exis.net
Thu Jun 18 07:17:03 PDT 1998

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 6/17/98 1:24:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> geneviamoas at juno.com writes:
>
> << How the $#@#@ do
>  I get judges knowledgeable in a field to A) come to an event and B) to
>  Judge a competition, C) How do I identify them other than word of mouth
>  which is very subjective? Suggestions ?? >>

Depends on how big your events are....if you lucky enough to have events that draw
a few hundred, you can see who shows up, then choose your judges.  As for how to
find out who is good enough, try polling the local guilds who do the same type of
work (usually, they will mostly agree on who is knowledgable or clueless on any
given subject and they can point you to the teachers of the guild who usually have
a fair amount of knowledge).  Asking around for a few weeks in advance can result
in a list of more judges than you need, then approach those who show up on the day
of the event (if they are not entering) and avoid someone who says they will then
doesn't show up.  In addition, many baron/ess and king/queens will be glad to help
judge a contest that is not too complex and outside all their interests.  This
brings the nobility/royalty closer to the pursuits of the populace and shows
respect to the rulers.  I have seen events where her majesty is invited to judge
the works of artistans by awarding them with a scroll and buying their goods for
the treasure chests with monies fundraised for this purpose.  In this way, the
judging is acheived and the winners announced in a more period way (wouldn't a
king commission an artistan to produce a work in a similar way?).  Anyway, there
are alot of ways to get judges.

Brenna of Lyonsbane