SC - Judging-OT

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at algonet.se
Thu Jun 18 04:33:50 PDT 1998

On Thu, 18 Jun 1998 WOLFMOMSCA at aol.com wrote:

> Lately, I get the distinct impression
> that very few folks in these Current Middle Ages are truly interested in
> history at all.
>
> Sorry.  Just rambling.  But the lack of quality, objective judging of Art/Sci
> is one of my pet peeves, and has been for a number of years now.  But at least
> I know why there are very few professional historians in the SCA.  It was
> something I wondered about for a long time.

<fx="UlfR dons his rather dented satire/sarcasm hat">
What! You mean one is supposed to be interested in history to be in the
SCA? When did the SCA start being a historical society? We are here
because we want to party with friends, not get all stuffy about history.
And hey, I saw this Viking outfit in a Prince Violent comic, so it is
too documented. What's wrong with fake-fur, anyway?
</fx>

I think the problem with the SCA as a historical society is the
multitude of reasons why people join the. Just as you have the group
that joined for the fighting or parties, you have the group that joined
for the cooking or illumination. This does not a coherent culture make.
Several people try to influence the SCA into something more seriously
medieval (e.g. Cariadoc, based on his writings), but it is a long road
to travel. Personally I've never figured out why I should bother with
A&S competitions, since I can't really think of a reason why UlfR, a
farmer with a past in Miklagaard, should enter into such a thing. If I
saw a competiton of a kind that it would have been historically accurate
for me to participate in then I most likely would. As is I strive
towards making my persona and equipment, inch by inch so to say, more
historically accurate, and freely helping those who want it with
whatever advice I can give.

/UlfR

P.S. Yes, fake-fur is documentally period (I've seen at least one piece
of Viking age fake-fur myself. It was a woolen border, most likely from
a "kimono style" jacket, looking like something similair to a strip from
a Rya rug. *Polyester* fake-fur is an emetica, at least when medieval
garb is concerned.

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                           parlei(at)algonet.se
http://www.algonet.se/~parlei
"Stop! Think! There must be a harder way to do this"