SC - Themed feasts

Gedney, Jeff gedje01 at mail.cai.com
Mon Jun 29 08:01:57 PDT 1998

Hmmmm...
<Micaylah said:>

> I have traveled a bit in the sca (who hasn't) and one thing I have
> noticed
> is that the lines blur when it comes to geography and time lines.
> There are
> groups out there that interpret the time frame of our society as
> 599-1599
> a.d. and then there are other places that insist it is 700-1699 a.d.
> Since
> they can usually prove their intents, whose to say they're wrong?
The SCA incorporated Governing documents (Bylaws and Corpora) for one.

They clearly state that the SCA is to recreate "Pre-Seventeenth
Centrury" stuff.
That means pre 1601. 1699 is 99 years OUT of period.

> While geographically most groups say the "known world" to be
> Europe/Britain
> there are other groups (like ours) who include the Middle East and
> Asia. I
> find that this is becoming more and more prevalent in the sca as time
> goes by.
This is becoming an "Interkingdom Anthropology" debate. Can we try not
to go there?
There is a great deal of acrimonious debate even within groups as to
whether the "Western Culture" statements in the various SCA laws and
policies mean that these eastern cultures are legitimate for our
recreations. It is a popular and effective flame button.

<Micaylah then said, in response to His grace's comments regarding our
"grade level" of historical knowledge>

> Does it really matter?
VIVAT TO YOU!!! Nail RIGHT SQUARELY on the head!! Bang on. Pip! Pip! I
say!!
What any one else other than <insert yourself> knows or learns is NOT
THE POINT of the SCA.
What <insert yourself> learns is the point.
The "Person in the mirror" is the only person who's "learning and
participation level" you need to worry about.
If you don't care about that, that is no skin off MY teeth.  I'll still
try to learn more.

Brandu
( who did real well on a Medieval History CLEP test, based only on what
he has learned as a result of his participation in the SCA.)
as I am fond of telling Newbies:
"The SCA is like a sewer: What we get out of it depends on what we put
into it"