SC- gooseberries was Re: SC - RE: Off Topic Messages

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Tue Jun 30 08:20:38 PDT 1998

Hey all from Anne-Marie

ok...here's a foodie question for you.
Gooseberries.
Find me a period recipe (primary source only please) that uses them. I took
a modern french cooking class (yum!) and the chef offhandedly said that
gooseberry sauce on mackerel was medieval. Those of us who DO medieval
cooking cant remember a single recipe for sauce using gooseberries.

We've been pointed to a couple 16th century ones, but anyone know any
others? We know the fruit is medieval, its in TacitumSanitas, but a real
recipe, please?

On your mark, get set, GO! :)
- --AM
PS, FYI, a modern cream and fish stock reduction sauce with a gooseberry
purree, strained and with fresh dill on a beautiful poached Copper River
Salmon fillet will rock your world. Delicate, and fresh with a delightful
tart finish almost like yogurt base.......