SC -Smokin' (was Frat Parties)

Charles McCathieNevile charlesn at sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au
Tue Jun 30 17:30:04 PDT 1998

Smoking in the hall?? We don't do it because it ain't medieval (we have a
shorter period in Nordmannia, which precludes tobacco) and because most
halls in Australia (virtually all government, or public buildings, and
virtually all corporate workplaces) are non-smoking.

As a smoker, the thing I hate is walking through a haze of smoke just
outside the front door - it equates with walking into one of Melbournes
major department stores, who have miles of perfume booths at the front
entrance. I tend to use the other entrances.

The other thing I hate is walkng through cigarette butts.

It seems we smokers, as a bunch, do have a lot to answer for, but most of
it strikes me as simple courtesy. The damage we do to ourselves is our
own business, except that those who pay the hospital bills have every
right to raise enough taxes to do so...

Charles/Ragnar
(This seems an odd topic for an absent listreader)