SC - Eggs and Egg substitutes

Kiriel & Chris kiriel at cybergal.com
Fri Jun 5 17:42:40 PDT 1998

jeffrey stewart heilveil wrote:

> While I have your attention, does anyone know of a binding agent that

> could replace eggs?  I wanted to make the "falafel" recipe from the

> miscellany, but I am not sure I want to mess with eggs.

> Thanks in advance,

> Bogdan

Well, there is really nothing quite like egg for binding things.

Nothing

I have found works quite as well. Out of curiosity, why don't

 you want to use eggs?

A tip (I hope that I am not teaching my grandmother to suck

eggs) (grin):

You can easily tell if an egg is off.  When an egg gets old, it builds

up

gas inside the shell, which makes it float up in the water.  So, if your

eggs sink in cold water they are either boiled or fresh.  If they bob

about

a bit, but only the tip is exposed to the air, they are probably ok, but

not as fresh as they could be.  If they are really floating though, put

them in a box where they cannot break, wrap them in about 7 second hand

grocery bags and chuck them out.

Now, as to substitutes..

According to my terribly useful cookbook "Recipes to the Rescue, 350

recipes for those with allergies and food intolerances":

"Choice of an egg substitute will depend on the recipe.  The following

substitutes will bind in varying degrees.  More than one substitute

may be needed in some recipes.  It is not always possible to find a good

egg substitute.

Agar flakes can be used in slices and deserts

Soy flour works well in breads, cakes, pastries and pancakes

Tofu can be used in desserts,patties and some cakes

Arrowroot is useful in pancakes, waffles, sauces and biscuits

Mashed starchy vegetables can be added to loaves, patties, scones,

breads and pancakes

Mashed banana, stewed apple, pureed cooked apricots and mashed dates

help to bind cakes, pancakes, scones and muffins

Tahini, nut butters some ground nuts, seeds and honey also help to bind"

Sounds like the Tofu/starchy vegies are the closest for what you want.

Kiriel

(remembering my one greatest cooking disaster; wheat free, dairy free

egg free waffles - tasted great, but just did not work at all)