SC - Dish I made

Mary Hysong ladymari at gila.net
Tue Mar 3 20:38:41 PST 1998

You're right, Adamantius, sour salt is chrystalized citric acid. The lady
who wrote, however, said she was allergic to lemons and limes, but not to
oranges, so I suspect she's not allergic to citric acid. Also, citric acid
is Vitamin C, and considering how many things we need Vitamin C for our
daily food processing, anybody allergic to it would not be alive for very
long- it would be a bit like being allergic to water.

phlip at morganco.net

Never a horse that cain't be rode,

- ----------
: > Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 13:38:47 EST
: > From: Seton1355 <Seton1355 at aol.com>
: > Subject: Re: SC - Substitutions
:
: >   I just thought of anouther thing:  Sour salt (look in gormet shops -
it's
: > not expensive but I haven't seen it on regular grocery shelves for a
while)
: > Anyway.  It looks like rock cany except it's sour.  Melt some on a cup
of
: > boiling water, then add the quantity of "lemon juice" you need.
: > Good luck, Phillipa Seton
:
: I could be wrong, but I believe sour salt is citric acid, and is used in
: some pickling processes, and also was, at one time, I'm told, used by
: Jews in cleaning their dairy dishes, at times when soap was primarily
: made with animal fats.
:
: If sour salt is citric acid, though, the possibility exists that people
: who react badly to lemons may have a similar problem, in some cases.
:
: Adamantius
: troy at asan.com
: