SC - viola, pansies, et

kat kat at kagan.com
Fri Mar 6 12:32:36 PST 1998

> >A Reply from Lady Lyddy about the pasties.

	<deleted>
> >   Of the receipes that I have, they can be fried, baked or boiled. But
> >they are all shaped the same as the pasty we know in Cornwall. The
> >Cornish cooked on the same iron plate with the domed lid that the Irish
> >used as late as the 17th century so we know they baked them.
>
> Interesting.  How early do we know the Cornish, or other people for that
> matter, cooked on an iron plate with a domed lid and how do we know it?

The oven in question appears to be a derivative of the cloche oven.  The
cloche oven consists of a clay bake stone covered with a clay bowl, usually
with a handle on the base of the bowl.  An Athenian example can be seen in
the illustrations of Elizabeth David's English Bread and Yeast Cookery.

It may be that the oven design was introduced to the British Isles through
the ancient tin trade and was later reproduced in more durable iron, but
that is purely speculation.

> >Look at these books... Pleyn Delit the Second Edition and The Medieval
> >CookBook by Maggie Black.
>
> My _Pleyn Delit_ says it is revised but does not seem to say second
> edition; the one pasty it has is a whole chicken covered with dough, hence
> not at all similar to a Cornish pasty. I don't think I have Maggie Black.

	<deleted>

> David/Cariadoc
> http://www.best.com/~ddfr/

I've got Black.  If I remember correctly, she is dealing with the larger
coffins.

Bear