SC - Fw: [Mid] Greek Fire (Stolen from the Arabs)

John E. St.Lawrence III jes at mail.utexas.edu
Sat Mar 14 10:45:32 PST 1998

According to Lorna Sass, the recipe is from the Forme of Cury (c. 1390
approx.).  Your particular copy was probably taken from Sass' To the Kings
Taste and wrongfully attributed to John Russell's Boke of Nurture because of
the quote which precedes the recipe in Sass' book.  "Beware of saladis,
grene metis, and of frutes rawe."  --  John Russell, Boke of Nurture (c.
1460).  Unfortunately, I do not have copies of the originals to verify this.

Bear