SC - Viking and early Irish foods

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Wed Mar 18 16:40:18 PST 1998

Sorry about being technical, but the rat is not the vector. The oriental
rat flea (xenopsylla cheopis) is the vector, and the disease comes from
the bacterium (Yersinia pestis) that is injected via the salivary glands
of said flea.  The rat is a reservoir host for the disease, and humans are
merely an accidental host.