SC - Fwd: 8 Worst Convenience Foods

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Mon Mar 23 07:17:36 PST 1998

Greetings all,
    Coming out of lurk mode with a question or two....
I have both the Power and Coulton, and Janet Hinson translations of Le
Menagier (in different editions of Cariadoc's Collection). and have
noticed quite a few discrepancies between them. As I do not have the
ability to translate the original that is on-line, I would like to hear
from those of you who have these, as to the accuracy of either or both
translations.
    Reason: my Lord and I will be cooking for a Collegium in June, and
wish to do an all-period feast from a single source. We have looked at
the middle-class menus in Janet Hinson's translation as a guideline, but
have found that many of the menu items do not appear to be among the
recipes given, and we realize that we will need to add in some items to
balance the menu for current tastes (don't want an all-meat and fish
feast). My current thoughts are to ignore the menus, since we can't seem
to find all the recipes, and choose from the listed recipes to make up
the menu, however, the differences between the translations are
confusing when it come to redacting recipes.
    Any light you all could shed on this will be much appreciated.

Ceridwen