SC - OT, places

jeffrey stewart heilveil heilveil at students.uiuc.edu
Mon Mar 23 19:09:33 PST 1998

Greetings, all!

I lurked here for a bit last year, but the daily volume just got to be too great for my web-based mail server.

Anyway, I found the digest list, finally, and decided that this time I was going to follow Aiofe's advice about introducing myself.

My name is Ragnar Ketilsson, of the Barony of Endless Hills.  With my lady wife Rowan Ashbrooke, I've been playing in the SCA for about 8 years.  I'm the online half of a long-time cooking partnership, both in and out of the SCA.  We've both cooked for a living, Rowan as a camp cook for the Girl Scounts and me as a second cook in a sitdown restaurant.  In the kitchen we're a team, but all opinions expressed here are strictly my own.

Yes, for those of you wondering, this is Aiofe's Barony, and I do get to cook with her, which makes me one lucky git.  (Thanks, Aiofe!)

I am a maniac about food safety, both in prep and serving:  when I got my AOA I surrendered my belt knife, but my quick-read thermometer went before their Majesties with me.  My second priority is guest enjoyment: the very best reward I can get comes when silence, broken only by eating sounds, falls on a feast hall after a remove goes out.

Rowan and I have done anywhere from 2 to 6 feasts a year for the last several years, although the 6 feast year was more or less an accident (things came up after we had agreed to a schedule).  We have recently discovered an interest in sotelties, and have found ourselves with an increasing interest in period ingredients and preparation methods.

In sotelties, I focus on gingerbread and marzipan work, Rowan on cakes and other period desserts, and we both like to play with sugar paste.

We both do menu selection, I do portion control, purchasing, and advance planning, and Rowan is the kitchen boss.  None of this is set in stone, but it generally works best for us.

We are cooking Aethelmearc Coronation on April 4, with the utterly necessary help of the Baronial Cook's Guild.  Look for a menu in a following post, if anyone is interested.

I do want to thank the list contributors, for many good recipes and more thought-provoking moments.  May many more be ahead!

Special thanks here to Lady Aiofe Finn, who taught me period redaction doesn't have to mean bad food(I'm still learning).

Thanks to Lord Ras, also, who showed me goat is good meat.

Ragnar Ketilsson,
Barony of Endless Hills, Aethelmearc