OP candied nuts (was Re: SC - Tiramisu)

kat kat at kagan.com
Wed Mar 25 13:49:33 PST 1998

I just spoke on the phone to Charles Perry, who translated _Manuscrito
Anonimo_ and Ibn al Mubarad and knows more about medieval Islamic cooking
than anyone else I know. He has made murri and will describe the process in
an article in this weekend's L.A. Times (he's a food editor there).

He says it is similar, both in taste and chemical composition, to soy
sauce! Of course, it does not contain any soy beans--but apparently the
cheaper grades of soy sauce, although they have some soy beans, are based
in part on grains, as is murri. He no longer believes that it is
sufficiently carcinogenic to be a problem--a conjecture he once offered to
explain its disappearance.

Incidentally, if any of you are actually engaged in translating period
Arabic cookbooks (I have a hard time keeping track of who is doing what),
Perry is willing to correspond on the subject.

The reason I had called him was to ask permission to web his translation of
_Manuscrito Anonimo_. He says I can, but he wants to make some corrections
first.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/