Fwd: Re: SC - (Fwd) Onions Eaten Raw

Charles McCathieNevile charlesn at sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au
Sun Mar 29 22:11:15 PST 1998

In her comments about Kentwell Hall, Caroline said:

>Keeping dishes
>warm is easy - just put it by the fire (this is using pottery or cast iron
>cooking vessels - this year I expect to have to cope with bronze, which
>needs different treatment).

How is working with bronze different than working with cast iron? Do you
mean you can’t set the bronze pots near the fire to keep them warm? Or
that you have to cook in them differently?

What about the using the pottery? Did you cook over the fire in the pottery?
Or use them beside the fire?

You may have mentioned this but I have forgotten. How did you support
the pots over the fires? Hung on chains or hooks? Or sitting on grills?

You mentioned ovens. Were these the single chamber type, where the
oven was first heated by burning a fire in the chamber, then raked out
and the food put where the fire had been? Or did these have multiple
chambers, one for the fire which was kept burning and a separate one
for the food? I was under the impression that the two chamber type was
late in the medieval period, if at all.

Thanks for this wonderful set of messages. I definitely plan to create
a file for these in my Florilegium files.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net