SC - OT - OOP -- Cincinnati chili

Gedney, Jeff Gedney.J at phd.com
Mon Mar 30 08:06:13 PST 1998

Since I had to do some baking this weekend, I toyed with the egg and pastry
dough.  The problem is this dough turns rubbery when filled with a liquid
filling.  In an attempt to resolve the problem, I tried glazing the pie
shell with an egg white and water wash before pre-baking.  While the
resultant pie shell still turned rubbery where covered by the filling, the
texture was more palatable than the unglazed shell.

In case anyone wishes to experiment,

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 egg and 1 egg yolk (reserve white for glaze)
water

Stir the egg and egg yolk into the flour to form a crumbly mixture.
Blend water slowly into the mixture until a ball of dough forms (I used
about 3/16 of a cup of water.  This will vary, depending on the flour).
Work the dough by hand to a smooth, even texture.
On a floured board, roll dough to the desired thickness.  Place in pie tin.

Beat 1 Tablespoon of water and the reserved egg white together.  Brush onto
the pie shell.

Bake in a pre-heated oven for 15 minutes at 425 degrees F.

The thinner the pie shell, the more likely it will crack during baking.  I'm
not sure what the optimum thickness is.  Nor am I certain the best time and
temperature for baking the shell.