SC - Pie Reprise

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Tue Mar 31 20:28:08 PST 1998

At 12:56 PM -0800 3/28/98, Konstanza von Brunnenburg wrote:

>I am searching for any documented European dish that combined a grain (i.e.
>cereal grass) product with a legume (e.g. beans, peas) product  -- the
>trusty vegetarian "complete protein" combo.  So far I've only found this in
>a couple of  Arabic recipes -- Caradoc's translations of "Khichri" and
>"Counterfeit (Vegetarian) Isfî riyâ of Garbanzos".  I'd like to try
>substituting a grain/legume combo for meat in appropriate European recipes,
>and it would be great to be able to somehow *document* that a grain/legume
>combination was at least actually used in Period in (for example) England
>or Germany.  (Extra points for grain/legume documented as a Lenten
>substitute!)

As far as I can tell, they did not substitute grain/legume combinations for
meat in order to do meatless meals.  Fish is the usual substitute--which
probably isn't much help to you.  They did have pea and bean dishes, but
they aren't versions of meat dishes.  Note also that bread would have been
served with every meal--so you are getting a grain along with whatever else
is part of the meal.  Here are some bean dishes (original only; references
below).  The funny letter is meant to be a thorn: single letter for th.

Longe Wortes de Pesone
Two Fifteenth Century p. 89

Take grene pesyn, and wassh hem clene, And cast hem in a potte, and boyle
hem til they breke; and then take hem vppe fro the fire, and putte hem in
the broth in an other vessell; And lete hem kele; And drawe hem thorgh a
Streynour into a faire potte.  And then take oynones in ij. or iij. peces;
And take hole wortes, and boyle hem in fayre water; And then take hem vppe,
And ley hem on the faire borde, And kutte hem in .iij. or in .iiij. peces;
And caste hem and the oynons into Ýat potte with the drawen pesen, and late
hem boile togidre til they be all tendur, And then take faire oile and
fray, or elles fressh broth of some maner fissh, (if Ýou maist, oyle a
quantite), And caste thereto saffron, and salt a quantite.  And lete hem
boyle wel togidre til they ben ynogh; and stere hem well euermore, And
serue hem forthe.

Fried Broad Beans
Platina p. 115 (book 7)

Put broad beans that have been cooked and softened into a frying pan with
soft fat, onions, figs, sage, and several pot herbs, or else fry them well
rubbed with oil and, on a wooden tablet or a flat surface, spread this into
the form of a cake and sprinkle spices over it.

Benes yfryed
Curye on Inglysch p. 141 (Forme of Cury no. 189)

Take benes and seeÝ hem almost til Ýey bersten.  Take and wryng out the
water clene.  Do Ýerto oynouns ysode and ymynced, and garlec Ýerwith; frye
hem in oile oÝer in grece, & do Ýerto powdour douce, & serue it forth.

Two Fifteenth Century Cookery Books (1430-1450), Thomas Austin Ed., Early
English Text Society, Oxford University Press, 1964.
Platina, De Honesta Voluptate, Venice, L. De Aguila, 1475. Translated by E.
B. Andrews, Mallinkrodt 1967. (Both Platina and Kenelm Digby were published
as part of the "Mallinkrodt Collection of Food Classics." Reprinted by
Falconwood Press, 1989.)  Page numbers given herein are from the Falconwood
edition.
Curye on Inglysch: English Culinary Manuscripts of the Fourteenth Century
(Including the Forme of Cury), edited by Constance B. Hieatt and Sharon
Butler, published for the Early English Text Society by the Oxford
University Press, 1985.

Elizabeth of Dendermonde/Betty Cook