SC - Hummus and falafel

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Mar 12 22:32:47 PST 1998

At 3:45 PM -0600 3/12/98, jeffrey stewart heilveil wrote:
>On Thu, 12 Mar 1998, david friedman wrote:
>
>> Counterfeit (Vegetarian) IsfÓriy’ of Garbanzos
>>
>> Pound some garbanzos, take out the skins and grind them into flour. And
>> take some of the flour and put into a bowl with a bit of sourdough and some
>> egg, and beat with spices until it's all mixed. Fry it as before in thin
>> cakes, and make a sauce for them.
>>
>> David/Cariadoc
>> http://www.best.com/~ddfr/
>
>Cariadoc,
>I was wondering what spices might have been used at the time, as this does
>not sound far from what I generally use to make falafel.
- ---
This is the recipe used by Sayyid Abu al-Hasan and others in Morocco, and
they called it isfîriyâ. Take red lamb, pound it vigorously and season it
with some murri naqî', vinegar, oil, pounded garlic, pepper, saffron,
cumin, coriander, lavender, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, chopped lard, and
meat with all the gristle removed and pounded and divided, and enough egg
to envelop the whole.
- ---
A Recipe of Isfîriyâ

Take some red meat and pound as before. Put it in some water and add some
sour dough dissolved with as much egg as the meat will take, and salt,
pepper, saffron, cumin, and coriander seed, and knead it all together. Then
put a pan with fresh oil on the fire, and when the oil has boiled, add a
spoon of isfîriya and pour it in the frying pan carefully so that it forms
thin cakes. Then make a sauce for it.

Simple Isfîriyâ

Break however many eggs you like into a big plate and add some sourdough,
dissolved with a commensurate number of eggs, and also pepper, coriander,
saffron, cumin, and cinnamon. Beat it all together, then put it in a frying
pan with oil over a moderate fire and make thin cakes out of it, as before.
- --
The last two appear just before the counterfeit isfiriya recipe. So it
looks as though pepper, coriander, saffron, cumin, plus maybe cinnamon,
lavender, ginger, cloves, garlic and murri, would be the appropriate
spicing.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/