SC - Raviolis, tortellini and fritters

Christi Redeker Christi.Redeker at digital.com
Fri Mar 13 06:38:26 PST 1998

Hello all,

Upon reading The Original Mediterranean Cuisine last night and redacting the
Ham Fritters recipe I came across something that struck me as strange.  (My
Mistress is trying to get me to question anything and ask questions, so here
I go!)  The original recipe has a title of ravioli or tortellini, but in my
limited knowledge of Italian (derived from being able to read and dechiper a
little bit of Spanish) I don't see anywhere in the original for wrapping in
pasta.  In the author's notes, she says that ravioli, tortelini and fritters
were used interchangeably until the custom of wrapping a filling in pasta
became wide spread and known as ravioli and tortelini.  Could this be a
mistake in the translation.  Could it have been assumed that you would put
this in pasta?  It is a fried dish, and pasta isn't often fried before being
boiled.

I wish I had brought the book into work with me this morning so I could give
you all the translations.

Murkial

Christi Redeker
Digital Equipment Corporation