SC - Period Greek food

jeffrey stewart heilveil heilveil at students.uiuc.edu
Fri May 1 06:22:13 PDT 1998

Just a cautionary note regarding the "definition" of primary, secondary, and
tertiary sources as it applies to the SCA:

I have found, over these many years, that the rules on this subject vary from
Kingdom to Kingdom, from Laurel to Laurel, and from member of populace to
member of populace.  The written rules are usually available from the Kingdom
MOAS, but are open to interpretation by the judges who actually review the
work in question.  In the heat of competition, these varied individual
interpretations give rise to a variety of sticky wickets, from which most
folks simply do not have the clout to extricate themselves.  Of course, the
SCA is not alone in this dilemma.  Ask six professional historians to define
said source levels, and I guarantee you'll get six different answers, too.

I remember a fierce argument from a few years back where a Laurel who was
judging a competition insisted that unless the documentation contained an
authenticated copy of the original manuscript source, it was immediately
marked down a few points.  Said Laurel was challenged on this insistence by
none other than the principal of the Order.  What I found utterly appalling in
this incident was the fact that despite the sheaf of rules which were waved
about as the authority on this matter, and the well-presented interpretations
of the Principal, the judging was not changed, nor did the Laurel admit there
could be room for leeway.  And to top it all off, this argument was conducted
in the presence of the person who had worked so hard on the entry.  The
individual never entered another competittion, and the SCA lost a valuable
member of the community of artisans which is so important to our activities.

The moral of this story?  Thick skin is required for competition, and you have
to stick with it, despite the unmitigated errors in judgment to which your
work might be subjected.  Eventually, the work will be recognized properly.
(Yes, you can all call me Pollyanna, now.)

Walk in peace,
Wolfmother