SC - Help thinking up a class......

marilyn traber mtraber at email.msn.com
Sat May 2 06:00:38 PDT 1998

Greetings.  Claricia wrote:
>Has anyone out there done sugar plate?  I don't mean the paste kind
>of stuff.  I can post the original if it would help, but I have no
>idea how to "clarify" sugar.

I will confess that I haven't myself boiled up a sugar syrup and poured
it out to try making plates.  It should be similar to making "stained
glass" for candy windows.  Regarding clarifying sugar, there are
"recipes" in late-period books that say to use the white of an egg.
However, my understanding is that _we_ modern folk don't need to
clarify sugar since the impurities that were in the period sugar are
not there in the modern sugar.  If I recall correctly, there are more
detailed instructions for clarifying sugar in turn-of-the-century
cookbooks.  If someone is wanting to try it, let me know and I will
look in a couple of the early 20th-c. cookbooks that I have.

Alys Katharine