SC - Quince

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sun May 3 15:39:54 PDT 1998

At 9:41 AM -0400 5/3/98, Seton1355 wrote:
>In a message dated 5/3/98 5:53:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time, acrouss at gte.net
>writes:
>
><< beef stew with carrots and turnips
> >  >>
>What is wrong (medievally speaking) with stewed beef with ground vegetables?

The fact that I know of no medieval recipe for it--and there are lots of
medieval recipes for simple dishes.

>Surely this is such a simple, ubiquitous dish, that it was made on meat eating
>days

I don't think that is a safe assumption. It seems an obvious dish to
us--but I think the evidence of what they actually made is more informative
than the evidence of what it seems to us that they should have made.

It is hard to think of a simpler and more obvious dish than corn on the
cob. Yet I am told that it was unknown in Europe, or considered an American
oddity, for a very long time after maize was introduced to Europe.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/