SC - Non-Period??

Kornelis Sietsma korny at zikzak.net
Sun May 3 22:57:48 PDT 1998

Hi all from Anne-Marie
Stefans asks:
> However, why do you say meatloaf without oatmeal? I was unaware that
> oatmeal was a common filler for modern meatloaf. But besides that, I
would
> think oats would be a reasonable filler for medieval foods. Were oats not
> used this way? Or do all the medieval recipes that we would class as
> *meatloaf* not use any oats?

Ah, you see, my mother made her meatloaf with oatmeal. Probably because
that whas what was in the cupboard.

As for its use as a medieval filler unit, I know of no recipes where it is
used as a thickener or binder, and only can think of a couple where oats
are used as an ingredient in the medieval (12-15th century) French/English
corpus. Breadcrumbs, ground almonds, flour (wheat or rice) and eggs are the
main thickening agents I can think of. Of course, reduction, too.

- --Anne-Marie