SC -Gentle education, was Help thinking up a class...

Charles McCathieNevile charlesn at sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au
Sun May 3 23:20:56 PDT 1998

LYN M PARKINSON wrote:

> Louis,
>
> >I just tried putting your cardform into a file, adding my own
> >bibliography, and gradually cutting and pasting the info into your form.
> >It's workable, but a lot of time.  Tells me what else I need to know
> >about each book, tho!  I think that Duke Sir Cariadoc should do the
> >official form for his works, Cindy her 3, and perhaps Susan Evans would
> >do the same for her reprints.  Then, you could just use those over and
> >over as they appear in individual libraries, or the notation also: a,b,
> >etc.

I like your idea.  Actually I will take any format you want to send with any
infoWhat I planned on doing is refomatting all of them to look a like and
sharing common info (so it takes less space).
I like your idea of each person doing their own.  What I want to do is the work
of the typesetter so they aren't confusing when you read them.
You can send me info in pretty much any file format so use what works best for
you (if you are using Macintosh let me know first or convert to a DOS file
format).

> >Not sure what you mean by #2--comment?  Is that like the answers to
> >Ruath's request 'what shall I teach'  or more in the nature of 'took M.
> >Kateryn's class on ...and it was...'
> I was thinking something like I want to teach a class on X here is my outline.

More like this is a candidate for a class I want to teach.

> >Do we need you to do the articles or does that duplicate Stefan's
> >Florilegium?  ex. Aoife's wonderful article/class on cheesemaking.
> >Perfect for what you suggest for articles, but already in the
> >Florilegium.  ditto, The Good Food Feast.  Maybe just cross-references
> >here?

I would be more than happy to cross ref to the Florilegium or the Miscellany as
appropriate and acceptable to Stephan and Cariadoc.
I was thinking that article we could keep here might be things that are just a
little to small for a course.
I was thinking this would be good for things like competition papers.
Or we could do a online journal (an E-Zine).  This is up for grabs as a thought
in progress.

> >Speaking of that:  do we want both a general cookbook,
> >with a 'fish' listing

Fish List???

> I think that Online copies of existing texts are a great idea a bit of a
> different category but could be crossreferenced through

both the card catalog (listed in their own category online books)And as part of
the Online Cook Book.

> >Sure, I'd rather go to Lochac for Rowany and teach my sauce class,
> myself,--ditto Nordmark
> >and Madrone-- but it doesn't look financially likely.
> Yeah I keep hearing about great things that are taught at pensic and unless I
> loose my job (not likely) I'm never going to make it.

> >Pictures should be either gif or jpg.<  >If you have pictures scan them
> (I could scan them for you - that
> >involves real mail) and save as JPG or GIF as appropriate.<<
>
> >So, if I use Paintshop Pro to scan a pic, how do I send that to you?  I
> >don't have a web page.

Ok if you can scan it with a scanner into paintshop pro you can save it as a
TIFF, JPG or GIF.  TIFF is the largest and the best to send me because from it I
canmake either of the other two.  Save your picture to your local disk and
When you make an E-Mail there should be an option for attachments. In netscape
there is a big paperclip.
This will pop up the "regular" open file dialog box.  Select the file and it
will be attached to the E-Mail.

> >This is good, valuable stuff, but we don't want to burnout either you or
> >Stefan--or you'll stop, and we'll HAVE TO DO IT OURSELVES!

Thanks my plan is just to act as the printer/publisher of this.  I just don't
have the time and skills to work as an editor as well.I would like to institue a
rather liberal policy for submissions and let you all workout what is good.

The criteria I am going to use:
I believe that any class that has been taught as a collegium or symposium is a
good candidate for the class section.
Any class that is of this caliber but is not taught is also a good candidate.
Articles should contain documentation that is suitable for competition.
Recipies should contain sources and state what they are redactions, original,
modernization ...

I would like to institue a policy about critisms with the content (I can take it
on the chin for formatting) .  If you don't like some submitted content you have
offer to help fix it.  I.E. If you think someone is using a bad source you
shouldn't just say that source doesn't know what he is talking about.
You should say that a specific other source is much better and offer to help
them procur a copy.

- - Conneach