SC - spiced canteloupe

rudin@okway.okstate.edu rudin at okway.okstate.edu
Mon May 4 11:48:40 PDT 1998

Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> UlfR asked if we should be trying to convince members of the 'mundane'
> world to come to feasts by serving them modern food.
>

> There is a fine line which needs to be walked (and not just with food)
> between the two extremes. I have found that the best things to do are set
> an example by striving for authenticity

I whole hearted agree. A laurel in illumination once told me that we
should strive for authenticity because we "can" not because we "have"
to.

This discussion reminds me of a feast I worked on a couple of years ago.
I did a course entirely derived from recipes found in Apicius. When I
held the tasting for the course, the comments that were made was how
ordinary the food seemed. The dishes that I served were:

Broiled Red Snapper in a Red Wine sauce
Chicken in a cream sauce over pasta
Cucumber salad
Herbed Peas
Pinenut Custard

There was a sixth dish, but I don't remember what it was off the top
of my head. (I'm at work, the notes are at home).

There are a lot of period recipes for food that should be appealing
to most modern appetites, and are simple to make. Like almond fritters
and
Andalusian stuffed eggs (tastes nearly like a deviled egg. A sideboard
could also consist of fresh and dried fruits, nuts, roasted meats (with
various sauces on the side), short bread, etc.

Euriol

- --
Cassandra Baldassano            cassie at nas.nasa.gov
Sterling Software               (650) 604-6007 or (800) 331-8737 x6007
Supporting:                     M/S 258-6
Systems Control                 NASA Ames Research Center
Database Administration         Moffett Field, CA 94305-1000