SC - Non-Period??

Kornelis Sietsma korny at zikzak.net
Mon May 4 17:49:44 PDT 1998

> On Sunday, May 03, 1998 9:41 AM, Seton1355 [SMTP:Seton1355 at aol.com]
> wrote:
> >
> > << beef stew with carrots and turnips
> >  >  >>
> > What is wrong (medievally speaking) with stewed beef with ground
> vegetables?
> > Surely this is such a simple, ubiquitous dish, that it was made on
> meat eating
> > days.
> > Phillipa Seton

I remember reading G. de Maupassant's "La Riviere" (187?) that the husband
enjoyed his evening stew "pot au feu"; which is a meat and vegetable
stew.  I am "on travel" and do not have any resources w/ me, but I wonder
how far back "pot au feu" can be traced; and whether any chronicles might
list the recipe w/ ingredients.  From the context of the story, pot au feu
is eatten by the poor; in which case, it may have been deliberately
excluded due to snobbery or because everyone and their cousin had the
recipe.

pondering

Arian