SC - dinner

marilyn traber mtraber at email.msn.com
Mon May 4 22:29:30 PDT 1998

Ras (and many others) pointed out that _good_ period food attracts as
many as, if not more than, it repels.

In addition, isn't part of the dream about trying stuff? If we become a
group who are scared to try anything 'new' (or 'old' ;) then we may as
well stop researching and simply copy stuff that has been done.

Charles Ragnar

It isn't so much  the group being to scared to try anything new, it is about
getting people involved a baby step at a time that would get scared off at
too large a jump. Getting them to come to an event because they liked Robin
Hood, and expressed an interest in seeing people who d it for fun and
feeding them something familiar is a whale of a lot easier than telling them
that you are taking them to a gathering where they will be dressed like in
the movie and eat something they have never had before is entirely
different. You should see the looks I get when I describe Salamallah's
mustard soup or the cold cream of raspberry soup that he also makes-a cold
fruit soup? isn't that like eating melted ice cream? was one response I got
at one time. Just like the dreaded cuskys-fruit raioli? but it's not chef
Boyardee!!! Just keep it all in perspective. You may know they will enjoy it
but if you try to get people to make too big a jump at one time they will
not be comfortable enough to decide whether they like it or not and you risk
scaring them away. My house invites people who are interested and make it
easy for them to blend in and enjoy themselves. Once they discover they like
the SCA, then they are willing to take the next steps on their own and start
dabbling until they find their niche.

margali