SC - Rocs-silly

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Tue May 5 08:01:56 PDT 1998

Minna Gantz wrote:

>Yes and most people don't acknowledge that other than game, and a small
>proportion of expensive imported foods, the lord of the manor ATE
>EXACTLY THE
>SAME FOODS THE REST OF THE PEOPLE ATE most of the time.  This is for
>the very
>simple reason that the food they ate were a percentage of the crops
>grown by
>their people.  "Tax" accounts of what the serfs brought their lords
>document
>this part of the feudal arrangement.  The main difference would be that
>more
>time and care were devoted to the preparation of foods for their tables
>and
>expensive ingredients could be used more lavishly.  Royal wedding and
>coronation feasts were the exception, not the rule.

Do you suppose they (the serfs) brought them (the lords) the prepared
food or the ingredients?  I mean, what I can do with a little bread
and yeast and whatnot is *completely* different from what Bear could
do with same such.  To say nothing of the time issue; if the lord had
a cook who spent all day in the kitchen, that cook could prepare more
delectable and interesting food than the serf could after spending
all day doing some other work (do you think anyone in the Serf's house
could work in the kitchen all day?).

Of course, I'm ignoring the fact that both of us are over generalizing
quite a bit, for I don't recall that the Irish of 12th century paid
taxes in food ingredients to a lord, though they might have to a
monastery.

Conchobar

===
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees."
- -- Jason Kidd