SC - List Non-Topic Item

Christi Redeker Christi.Redeker at digital.com
Wed May 6 07:57:43 PDT 1998

Broccoli (Brassica oleracea italica) appears to have been used in Ancient
Rome.  Catherine de' Medici is attributed with bringing them to France,
where they became popular in the 17th Century.  They became popular in
England in the 18th Century.

Related vegetables are cauliflower (Brassica oleracea botrytis) and brussel
sprouts (Brassica oleracea gemmifera).  Cauliflower has been grown since
Roman times.  Brussel sprouts are an 18th Century creation.

The primary source for this is Trager's The Food Chronology, so take it with
a grain of salt.  I haven't checked Apicius yet, but I would say both
broccoli and cauliflower are period in the context of an Italian meal.

Bear