SC - List Non-Topic Item

Christi Redeker Christi.Redeker at digital.com
Thu May 7 08:38:12 PDT 1998

	I must say that I've never had any problems with the haze from
pectine.
	I have only used pectic enzyme on a few occations and that have
helped me getting rid of most of it.
	When I haven't used it I've just let the bottles (the 1.5 l PET
kind) stand for a while, 4 to 6 week mostly, and racked it
	to smaller bottles.

	Do you actually boil the honey?  I read an article about it that
stated that the proteins would coagulate in a lower temperature
	and thus one could preserve aromatic substances in the honey
that'll boil away at high temperatures, giving a more flavoured mead.
	 As far as the tannin goes, it'll give a brew less sensitive to
ageing (ie it'll spoil sooner) and if I want a low tannin mead
	I prefer to toss it into the dissolved honey and just keep it in
there for 5 mins or so, just enough to get it sterilized, then remove it
from the fermenter after 4 to 7 days depending in the size of the pieces
of fruit.
	A little amount of tannin can actually be preferred since it
will lessen the sometimes overly sweet taste of some meads.
	If one's making a metheglin a bag of tea, earl grey works fine,
is a good dource of the tannin needed.

	Brokk, just adding his 0.16 SEK to the list of useful tips.