SC - garlic in British Isles

marilyn traber mtraber at email.msn.com
Fri May 8 07:29:02 PDT 1998

Can you offer any helpful
suggestions for those of us who really like to cook, but are utterly
ignorant of wine and honestly could not tell the difference between
"a four dollar generic Burgundy" and a "far superior Bordeaux or
Beaujolais"?

mar-Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib

Well, I hate to say it, but we buy our cooking and table wine in the 17
litre food service packaging[we can talk the package store on the subbase we
are stationed at into getting it for us] and we have defaulted so to speak
to a nice red and a nice rhine[the winery is optional, it depends on what
strikes our fancy and what we have tried in smaller bottles]
It lasts us about 2 months if we have the normal amount of guests over- say
dinner for 8 each weekend. The quality is commendurate with the smaller
bottles and the savings are good. We also buy specialty wines like vermouth
and marsala[ and that $40 bottle of sauterne, ouch] for recipes that call
for them. I cook with whatever euro beer is on sale at the base, which can
range from a nice british beer to a german beer to a great corsendonk
belgian brew. I dont like cooking with most american beers, they don't seem
to hold up well to the heat of cooking.

margali