SC - Mediveal Irish Cookbooks

Gedney, Jeff Gedney.J at phd.com
Fri May 8 07:22:21 PDT 1998

> I really don't mean to sound
>  unsympathetic, but it seems odd that so many accounts of food allergies
>  in the SCA tend to begin with the words, "I have a friend who...", and
>  relatively few which begin with, "I am allergic to..."

>  I hate to say it, but I suspect the simple fact is that there are a lot
>  of attention-starved hypochondriacs out there, mixed in with the people
>  genuinely suffering from food allergies, and that in the case of such
>  people, there's no pleasing them.

I'm allergic to seafood... and I eat seaweed, if I'm careful I can get away
with it. <Sigh> And I used to LOVE stuffed crab too....But on a feast in the
Outlands once I ate a wonderful vegie (according to the servers and the menu)
soup. Turned out to be shrimp and veggie soup, which I only found out after my
host asked the cook. She was called the Mad Chef... added stuff to the food on
impulse. This was considered an endearing quality there. We went looking for
medicine as my face tingled and swelled. Saw a similar story in a TI, but as I
wasn't airlifted out I assume that was someone else.

Fact is, a menu was posted, and was read. Nothing was said about shrimp. I was
perfectly willing to watch out for myself. Watch out the secret ingredients.

Corwyn