SC - Allergy rant - was garlic in British Isles

Christi Redeker Christi.Redeker at digital.com
Fri May 8 09:40:44 PDT 1998

Adam ant <evil smile>  wrote:

I have one last question, just out of curiosity: what's the percentage
of people who will personally comment on the allergies they actually
have, as opposed to those of friends, or friends of friends? I myself am
allergic to vanilla, shellfish, and peanuts, all of which I occasionally
eat anyway, with very minimal problems. I really don't mean to sound
unsympathetic, but it seems odd that so many accounts of food allergies
in the SCA tend to begin with the words, "I have a friend who...", and
relatively few which begin with, "I am allergic to..."

To which I reply:

I am allergic to melon, and avocados.  Neither are a bad reactions, just
itching and sometimes a slight swelling of the lips.  I do still eat all
of these because I like them.  I do try to avoid cantaloupe because it
causes the worst reaction and it the least favorite of the melon group.

Murkial
Christi Redeker
Digital Equipment Corporation
Colorado Springs, Colorado