SC - Re: Peach Mead...

Nick Sasso grizly_nick at rocketmail.com
Fri May 8 09:47:51 PDT 1998

>I don't list out all my ingredients, I am too busy cooking with them to
>be spending all day typing them out; and besides, it may be that I have
>some secret blend of herbs and spices I don't want to share!  (ask
>anyone who has had my hedgehogs whether I will reveal all their
>ingredients)

This is dangerous.I have been cooking SCA feasts for 8+ years. I believe
in personal responsiblity. The person with the allergy is responsible for
managing their allergy, not me. I know ahead of the feast what I am
serving and what ingredients are going to be used in each item. I print
out the ingredients list for each item and post it at the gate and
outside the kitchen (there is software that makes this easy enough to do
and I did it anyway before it was easy). The person with allergies can
then check the list and determine what they can and cannot eat. When a
dish is served, I (or my head server) tells the servers what dish they
are serving so they can tell the diners who should by then know what
dishes they will & will not eat.  If you DON'T post a list and DON'T
reveal ingredients then the person cannot manage their allergies
adequately.  I disagree with this practice.

Some folks don't expect special treatment because of their allergies and
all they want to know is what dish(s) to avoid. The ingredients list
provides them the ability to manage their allergies without bothering the
cook.

I do provide seperate dishes for vegetarians to replace meat dishes when
requested. I also will try to provide seperate dishes for those with
allergies when notified. That rarely happens here in Ansteorra though. I
do not accomodate allergies on the day of the event. I just point out the
ingredients list and let the person decide for themselves what they can
and cannot eat.

Clarissa di Firenze.