SC - Re: A Paste of Pippins

Fri May 8 18:25:11 PDT 1998

Ras wrote:
> good example of espallier , visit the Cloisters in New York City where they
> have espallier examples growing in the Monestery garden. Since I am currently
> envolved in replanning my herb beds, I will be looking closely at any pictures
> of Medieval gardens that I can find.
> Kitchen and castle gardens are depicted as well planned systems of raised beds
> using full advantage of the sun, etc. and including structures such as shade
> houses, sheds, etc. in their formation.

A reference that Ras (and others interested in medieval-style gardening)
should find useful: _The Medieval Garden_, by Sylvia Landsberg, Thames &
Hudson publishers, no copyright date that I can find (but it looks like
the 1990's).  The author has designed gardens for a number of
living-history sites in England and Wales.

Perhaps easier for Americans to find is _Sweet Herbs and Sundry Flowers:
Medieval Gardens and the Gardens of the Cloisters_, by Tania Bayard,
Metropolitan Museum of Art 1985.

					mar-Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib
                                                 Stephen Bloch
                                           sbloch at panther.adelphi.edu