SC - Allergic and not ranting

marilyn traber mtraber at email.msn.com
Sat May 9 11:20:58 PDT 1998

Having watched this thread for a while, I must throw in my 2 cents worth.

I have food allergies.  Have since I was a Little bitty kid.  They are quite
extensive.  I must say, I have to agree with the comment that whoever insists
on making a scene, or demanding special consideration at the last minute are
being truly inconsiderate and are in need of attention from any source
available.

I know what I'm allergic to.  It is my responsibility to eat or not eat
whatever I want and deal with the consequences of my decision.  If I think
there could be a problem, I am responsible to find out -- well in advance --
what that problem is.  I would NEVER insist the menu be changed on my account
(I cook my fair share of period food), but I make a note not to eat whatever.
My allergies are my problem, not the feastocrats.  It is inconsiderate for me
to try to make it so.  If the feast is impossible for me (and I have yet to
find one that is!), I could make arrangements to eat off board.  Most food
allergies are not terminal, but the reactions can be terribly inconvenient.
Sometimes that inconvenience is worth it, and sometimes it isn't.
Anaphylactic shock is beyond inconvenient.  If I will have a severe reaction,
I DON'T EAT IT.  It's really very simple.  I will not whine.  I did all that
when I was little (my poor mother!).

On the more positive side, one of the joys of cooking and eating period,
authentic food, is that it is generally heathier and more agreeable with my
diet.  Unless you will drop dead from a food you are allergic to, nothing is
inedible.  You may have to boost your antihistamine intake for a couple
months, and go in and get those nasty shots for a couple weeks, but it won't
kill you, as a general rule.  And if it will kill you, DON'T EAT IT.  Why
bitch?

Addressing the issue of money spent for a feast you can't eat, as I said I
have yet to run into a feast where I couldn't eat something.  I have run into
some where I couldn't eat some things, and there were somethings I just plain
didn't like, but NEVER where I couldn't eat anything.  Besides, part of the
enjoyment of a banquet is the company, entertainment, and conversation that
goes with it.  And I have never felt cheated by attending a banquet where I
ate a few of the items offered, because I enjoyed myself so immensely.

Bon Apetit!

Sigrid Pigwoman
aka Madeleine de la Chatte Enfumee