SC - Re: allergies & chivilry

CorwynWdwd CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Sat May 9 18:30:58 PDT 1998

This the period-like recipe I used for the Bear Heart at EK Crown which I know
you've all been waiting for. ;-)

Original:
Bourneys
Take pipes, hertes, neres, myltes, and of the rybbes of the Swynw, or elles
take (if thou wilt) Mallard or Goos, and choppe hem small, and then parboile
it in faire water, and take it vp, and pike it clene, and putte into a potta,
and cast thereto ale ynough. Sauge, Salt, and lete boile right ynowe, and then
serue it forth.

Translation:
Take lungs, hearts, ears, spleens, and of the ribs of swine, or else take  (if
you will) mallard or goose, and chop them small, and then parboile it in clean
water, and then take it up, and pick it clean, and put into a pot, and cast
thereto ale enough, sage, salt, and let it boil right enough, and then serve
it forth.

Redaction (Period-like adaptation):
Bourneys
(copyright 1998, L.J. Spencer, Jr.)

1 bear heart
12 sage leaves
1 tsp salt
Ale to cover

Cover heart with water. Boil for 15 minutes, removing scum as it forms. Remove
heart from water. Cut into bite-size pieces. Put heart pieces into a small
pot. Add sage. Add ale to cover and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to
simmer. simmer until heart is tender. Serve.

Ras