SC - Pennsic Potluck

Kallyr Kallyr at aol.com
Tue May 12 22:18:19 PDT 1998

Many herbs have been used as abortifacients.  Most of them were used in
extremely large quantities.  However, rue, the wormwoods (including tansy) and
pennyroyal are three of the strongest herbs in this regard that are also used
culinarily.  Many herbalists recommend that pregnant women avoid them.

Let me address the counter arguments I've seen:
1. They were used in period.
Well, yes, but so was lead as a face powder and arsenic for a pale complexion,
etc.

2.  Some have eaten or even served feasts including these with no ill effects.
First of all, are you certain none of those present could have been
affected--say they had a very early term pregnancy?  If they were affected,
how would you have found out about it?
Second, are you willing to risk: that there might be a person who has a
stronger reaction to the herb than most, that you might get a different batch
which is stronger (herbs vary in their potency depending on harvest time and
preparation), or that one of your staff in the kitchen gets enthusiastic and
adds a lot extra?

Let me suggest the following course for those who choose to prevail in the
face of these considerations:
1.   Anyone serving these should certainly inform their feasters of the
ingredient and its reputation.
2.  NEVER use in food an EXTRACT (which is concentrated by distilling) of
these or other abortifacients.

~~Minna Gantz  <KALLYR at aol.com>