SC - Saffron Crocus Source

DianaFiona DianaFiona at aol.com
Mon May 18 07:24:44 PDT 1998

<< unfortunately, there have been a fair number of cooks who use shortcuts
like
 bouillon and convenience foods in making the feast ;-( so if I find out they
 have, I simply scope out the brands used, and don't risk anything I am not
 sure about.

I freely admit to having used such modern shortcuts in my last feast, partly
due to lack of time and partly to lack of experience; ie I've done pastry
dough once in my life, for one pie, and didn't feel comfortable doing it at
feast sizes, so bought frozen pie shells.  I haven't worked with dried beans,
so bought canned ones.  What I did do, however, on the ingredients lists, was
list these items as "Del Monte White Northern Beans" for example and stated
"ask in kitchen if questions about ingredients" - and kept one container of
each convenience item in the kitchen so anyone with a question could scan the
ingredients list on the container for themselves.
For what it's worth, one person repeatedly came up to the kitchen (nearly as
each dish was served) to ask if this or that had something (I don't remember
what) in it.  The ingredients list had been posted by the kitchen door all
day, the servers were told to announce the name of the dish, and on several
occasions I was standing directly in front of the display of ingredients lists
when she asked.  She was a newbie, so I did cut her a little slack, but it got
kind of annoying, especially after I pointed out the lists several times and
she still came back to me.

Brangwayna