SC - OOP, choc chip cookie solved, OLD

Gerekr Gerekr at aol.com
Mon May 18 10:57:05 PDT 1998

> Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 06:12:57 EDT
> From: KKimes1066 <KKimes1066 at aol.com>
> Subject: Re: SC - chivalry (really this time)
>
>    I know not the source but am reasonably certain that when nobles moved
> about from castle to castle, the cooks were the first of the entourage to
> arrive. (Had to have food ready for road weary travellers) Being the first to
> arrive, these stalwarts often encountered unfriendly, unwanted "guests" at the
> destination. being capable with sword and buckler was a prerequsite for this
> operation. One never knows where the Dukes rivals will lie in wait.
>    To this end when I put on my apron instead of my armour I feel more in
> persona. Does anyone know of a noble's cook being knighted for chivalrously
> defending his master? It seems highly likely to have happened.
>
> Percival Beaumont App.

I recall reading somewhere that Taillevent is supposed to have said (not
in le Viandier!) that a cook who cannot raise a sword in defense of his
king is a cook not worth his salt. And Taillevent was knighted fairly
late in life; his tomb effigy boasts some spiff 15th-century armor.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com