SC - OOP, choc chip cookie solved, OLD

Gerekr Gerekr at aol.com
Mon May 18 10:57:05 PDT 1998

Hello All,

About 6 mo. ago I was weeping and wailing about not being able to get my
chocolate chip cookies to come out the way we wanted them (thin & chewy,
not dry and cake-y), and a number of people on the list were kind enough
to suggest possible remedies.

FYI, we figured out a fix last week!  One part accident, one part
history... my husband tried a batch and lost track of the flour; then
within a day or two, I got an idea to cross-check my recipe against the
1959 Betty Crocker cookbook I have from my mother.  IT gave an amount of
baking soda 1/2 of the modern recipe!

So we tried a batch with less soda AND less flour (for a full batch,
adjusted amounts 1/2 t. soda, 2 c. flour; vs. standard amounts 1 t. soda,
2 1/4 c. flour ), and got just what we wanted!    I figure the batches we
got "right" years ago must have been because of some really old soda, so
old it was acting at 1/2 strength.

Anyway, thanks again.

Chimene