SC - FW: New Medieval cookbook

Mary Morman memorman at oldcolo.com
Wed May 20 14:24:48 PDT 1998

I got two copies of this book yesterday from amazon.com.  One for myself
and one for my apprentices.  Come on over, Murkial!

I think this is destined to be -THE- new book for SCA cooking.  It is
well-written, well-translated, and gives plenty of background for the
recipes and the period.  the illustrations, both color and black and
white, are excellent.  the sources, mostly french and italian with a few
others thrown in, cover all the well-known ones (le menagier, platina,
taillevent, etc) but also a few little known manuscripts that definitely
add something new to my view of the corpus.

I have had the French original of this book for about five years, and have
been very eager to see the English translation (there are also German and
Italian translations).  It's as good as the original.  I was a little put
off at first that the recipes included as the original a translation into
English of the original, and then a modern redaction.  But all of the
actual originals in the original language are in an appendix at the back
of the book for you to refer to if you want to check out the translation.

I recommend that this is one to buy and use.  we will see a lot of it.

Elaina