SC - Wanted: recipes for Jacob's cattle beans

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Thu May 21 05:06:51 PDT 1998

Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 07:51:35 -0700
From: "Anne-Marie Rousseau" <acrouss at gte.net>
Subject: SC - birds/olives/roulades, please!

Hi all from Anne-Marie

anyone have a recipe (either the original text, or ideally, the original
plus an already tested version) of birds, or olives,....you know, meat
bits, stuffed (egg yolk, breadcrumbs and spice?) and rolled up and
cooked,
either boiled or roasted or grilled or skewered...I seem to remember
something like that in my travels, but for the life of me I cant find
it!!!
Could have sworn it was in Forme of Curye...

thinking it would be perfect as a demo food...
thanks!
- - --AM

I can't seem to find my worked-out recipe, but you can find originals in
Taillevent (under aloyeaulx de veau, IIRC) and in one of the Two
Fifteenth-Century Cookbooks (under aloes of [some kinda meat]).

There is a notational reference not in The Forme of Cury, but in Goud
Kokery, a composite of "left-over" recipes that are roughly contemporary
to the FoC, published at the end of Curye on Inglysch. Something about
onions for alowes not needeing to be parboiled before mincing, IIRC.

I managed to get excellent results for bulk production by having the
butcher slice beef round on his deli slicer, and rolling up in them a
stuffing made from Taillevent's (or was it Le Menagier's?) poultry
stuffing, featuring hardboiled egg yolks, cheese, green herbs, etc. . We
roasted them on skewers, then glazed them with egg yolk and saffron.
Taillevent's original recipe features a stuffing of either bone marrow
or blanched suet, which we felt might turn some people off, but figured
if they are birds, why not use a bird stuffing from the same source?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com