SC - whats an inn? was wanted: a marinade for spit roasting an autocrat

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Thu May 28 09:52:33 PDT 1998

>Thanks Sincgiefu,
>
>These are wonderful recipes. But......

Sorry , here you go! (I thought everyone here read M.E. by now - y'all do
know there's going to be a quiz next Friday, don't you? ;-) )

>> Harleian MS. 279 - Leche Vyaundez, c. 1430
>> xxv.  Hagws of a schepe.  Take [th]e Roppis with [th]e talour, & parboyle
>> hem; [th]an hakke hem smal; grynd pepir, & Safroun, & brede, & [3]olkys of
>> Eyroun, & Raw kreme or swete Mylke:  do al to-gederys, & do in [th]e grete
>> wombe of the Schepe, [th]at is, the mawe; & [th]an se[th]e hym an serue
>> forth ynne.

25.  Haggis of a sheep.  Take the Guts with the tallow, & parboil them;
then hack them small; grind pepper, & Saffron, & bread, & yolks of Eggs, &
Raw cream or sweet Milk:  put all together, & put in the great stomach of
the Sheep, that is, the stomach; & then seethe him and serve forth in.

>I take it "Roppis" to be the intestines and tripe, but what is talour? At
>first thought it would be "tallow" but I feel it would more likely indicate
>organ meats like the liver, kidneys, etc...
>
>Then ground and mixed with pepper, saffron, breadcrumbs, egg yolks, and
>cream or milk. Boiled in the stomach.
>
>To tell you the truth, it sounds kinda tasty.
>

>> Harleian MS. 279 - Leche Vyaundez
>> xl.  Puddyng of purpaysse.  Take [th]e Blode of hym, & [th]e grece of hym
>> self, & Ote-mele, & Salt, & Pepir, & Gyngere, & melle [th]ese to-gederys
>> wel, & [th]an putte [th]is in [th]e Gutte of [th]e purpays, & [th]an lat it
>> se[th]e esyli, & not hard, a good whylys; & [th]an take hym vppe, & broyle
>> hym a lytil, & [th]an serue f[orth].

40.  Pudding of porpoise.   Take the Blood of him, & the grease of him
self, & Oatmeal, & Salt, & Pepper, & Ginger, & mix these together well, &
then put this in the Gut of the porpoise, & then let it seethe gently, &
not hard, a good while; & then take him up, & broil him a little, & then
serve f[orth].

>Is this the mammal? Although it seems good I won't knowlingly eat mammilian
>dolphin or porpous. Sorry Ras, I'm too much of a liberal to eat animals
>I consider intelligent.

Yes, it's the mammal.

Cindy Renfrow/Sincgiefu
renfrow at skylands.net