SC - Armored Rape???

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu May 28 12:45:05 PDT 1998

At 9:42 PM -0500 5/27/98, William Seibert wrote:
>Good gentles,
>
>Anybody got a period haggis recipe??

Yes, but it's English.

Hagws of a schepe (Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery Books p. 39)

Take the Roppis [i.e. guts] with the talour [tallow=fat], & parboyle hem;
than hakke hem smal; grynd pepir, & Safroun, & brede, & yolkys of Eyroun, &
Raw kreme or swete Mylke: do al to-gederys, & do in the grete wombe of the
Schepe, that is, the maw [stomach]; & than sethe hym and serue forth ynne.
[thorns replaced by th's]

I haven't tried it, but it seems straightforward enough, if you can get the
ingredients.  I would find a modern haggis recipe to tell you how long to
boil it and such.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook

David Friedman
Professor of Law