Alcohol bafflement [was SC - whats an inn?]

Varju@aol.com Varju at aol.com
Sat May 30 10:39:13 PDT 1998

According to Waverly Root's Food, Gerard's Herball (1597, if I remember
correctly) described the preparation of tomatoes:

"In Spaine and those hot regions they used to eat the Apples prepared and
boiled with pepper, salt and oyle:  but they yeeld very little nourishment
to the body, and the same naught and corrupt."

The plant was described by the naturalist Pierandrea Mattioli in 1544 under
the name "mala aurea" (golden apple), later revised to "mala insana"
(unhealthy apple).

In 1578, Henry Lyte reports on tomatoes being grown in England only in the
gardens of professional herbalists.  John Parkinson over 75 years later
(1656) reports that tomatoes were still being grown in herbalists' gardens
as ornamentation and curiosities.

Bear