SC - Fwd: Spice Is Nice

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat May 2 14:19:33 PDT 1998

Sharon Nevin asked:

>> Dear Stefan,
>> Don't know if there is anything that is close to what you want but an
>> excellent book is "Making Midevial Furniture.
>> Hope this help.
>> Angustias McKeown

>Do you have details of the author and other details required to order a
>book?

I don't think I've seen a message answering this question yet. There are
reviews of this book as well as I believe some sources given in this file
in the HOME, SWEET HOME section of my Florilegium:

furniture-msg     (52K)  1/20/98    Making chests and tables for the SCA.
                                       Period furniture.

Though the book has some flaws, I think it is a wonderful book especially
for those just getting into medieval furniture making. One of the critisms
leveled at the book came from experienced metalworkers who disgreed with
the authors opinions on making the metal hardware. I believe the original
message here was a reply to my comments on medieval locks and keys. If this
is the book I have, it does not really cover period locks and keys.

I bet most people are unaware that the combination lock is not a modern
invention. This surprised me when I found out it was medieval or pre-medieval.

My files can be found at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net