SC - Broccoli & Fennel

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Wed May 6 06:27:49 PDT 1998

In a message dated 5/6/98 1:11:32 AM Eastern Daylight Time, allilyn at juno.com
writes:

<<  I have often
 heard prople say that broccoli is not period.  If someone has actual
 documentation for broccoli >>

This isn't exactly documentation but it works for me. :-) In "Food" by Waverly
Root it says that the word "broccoli" once meant 3 things> 1. Brassica
oleracea italica, 2. B. oleracea botrytis, 3. The flower stalk that pushes up
from the center of any cabbage at the end of it's life (it is edible).

No.1 is broccoli as we know it. No.2 is cauliflower. No.3 is still referred to
as "broccoli" in France.

Apicius was noted for his skill in handling broccoli. Drusus , son of Tiberius
was accused of overindulging in it. Introduced into France by Catherine de
Medici. First known use of the word broccoli in French was in 1560. Broccoli
did not arrive in England until 1720.

Hope this helps.

Ras