SV: SC - peach mead?

Nick Sasso grizly_nick at rocketmail.com
Thu May 7 08:47:12 PDT 1998

Brokk,

I do boil my honey for two reaasons.  Gets the scum up MUCH quicker,
and it kills wild yeasties in the honey.  It only goes for about 10 to
15 minutes, and since I use a very aromatic wildflower honey, I don't
miss out on the subtltiy of the honey character.  Boiling also gives a
slight caramalized character that I enjoy.  Not a whole lot, but
enought that is noticably different from the sulfited mead I made once.

As for pectic enzyme, it works marvelously, and I've used it on odd
occasion.  When I am doing medieval brewing, though, I don't add any
chemicals to my must (excepting acid blend, because it is more
convenient than lemons all the time, and has tartaric acid as well).

Heat pasteurization is effective only with sufficient time.  My
sources suggest that 160-170F for 30 minutes is neccessary to
pasteurize (NOT sterilize...that requires autoclave or way long boil)
fresh fruit.  5 minutes may not bring core temp of larger pieces high
enough quick enough to make real difference.

I agree with your assessment of tannins as good foil to sweeter meads.
 In a dry mead, it'll suck the spit right out of your
mouth....requiring drinking of a cup of sand to moisten your tonuge.
Bittering is pretty great when skillfully balanced!

niccolo