SC - frozen pomegranate seeds

Stephen Bloch sbloch at adl15.adelphi.edu
Thu May 7 18:52:26 PDT 1998

> Crystal of the Westermark asked:
>
> >Help, please. The feast I was planning did not happen. I have two gallon
> >sized ziplocks (TM) of frozen pomegranate seeds. Any suggestions on what
> >I can do with them that would not be expensive?

And Morgana replied:
> Oh, Crystal, had I your problem. I'm out of fresh juice and the local store
> is having problems getting the Knudsen juice (next best substitute I've
> found) which they just got for me last summer!

Gee, here in Queens I just walk around the corner to one of the numerous
kosher groceries and pick up either a quart or an 8-oz jar of
pomegranate juice....

> Following is a Spanish recipe we found when doing a feast some years ago. I
> make no claims of it being "in period," but it's very tasty. It has an odd
> kind of pinkish gray color, but nobody seemed to mind.
>
> Morgana
> Pork with Pomegranate Sauce

A bit over a year ago my wife and I did a Catalan feast from the Llibre
de Sent Sovi and Llibre del Coch (14-15th centuries).  Recipe 109 in the
latter follows, in our translation:

109 Salsa Camelina

Take two or three pomegranates [albars] and strain them all through a
piece of clean linen.  And when they are strained, press them well to
extract the juice well.  And afterwards take a bit of toasted bread and
soak it in the aforementioned juice.  And afterwards take a good
quantity of ground cinnamon and put it with the bread.  And afterwards
grind it well in a mortar.  And when it is ground up, temper it up with
good broth and the juice of the aforementioned pomegranates and vinegar
which isn't too strong.  And after that it goes on the fire to boil,
stirring all the time, until it is thick, but put in the pot before it
boils a lump of fine sugar.  And it's done.

First redaction:
1 C breadcrumbs
1/2 C pomegranate juice
1/2 C beef broth
2 T wine vinegar
1 T cinnamon
1 tsp white sugar

This may be too much breadcrumbs; it looks like it's turning into
Cameline Glue....

Second try:
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
3/4 cup pomegranate juice
1/4 cup beef broth
2 T wine vinegar
1 T cinnamon
1 tsp white sugar

Possibly too thin now (depending on how long you simmer it).  The
increased pomegranate makes it nicely tart, at least by Steve's standards....

					mar-Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib
                                                 Stephen Bloch
                                           sbloch at panther.adelphi.edu
					 http://www.adelphi.edu/~sbloch/