SC - Piperfarces - a query

Stephen Bloch sbloch at adl15.adelphi.edu
Thu May 7 19:24:11 PDT 1998

> The question is - Cariadoc's version uses 8 egg yolks to 2 T flour, where
> Pleyn Delit uses 2 egg yolks to slightly more flour than Cariadoc ...
> Are there parallel period examples which suggest a high yolk content?

I haven't done the "pipefarces" recipe.  But on the subject of high yolk
content,....

Filled Muqawwara
from the 13th-century Arabo-Andalusian Manuscrito An—nimo, my translation

Sift a pound and a half of wheat flour in a good sifter, mix it with
the yolks of fifteen eggs and as much fresh milk as necessary.  Put in
a little leavening and the dough will be firmer, make a loaf like a
raguif [patty] of this, and leave it to ferment.  Then put sweet oil in
a frying pan and take it to the fire, and when it has heated, put in
the raguif, turn it little by little, and watch that it not stick.
Then turn it and when it has browned a little, take it out and put it
in a dish and cut it out like a muqawwara.  Take out all the crumbs
that are in it and crumble it by hand until it thickens a little.  Then
take sufficient peeled nuts and almonds and sugar, pound them well and
put a handful of this, then another of crumbs, into the muqawwara
until it is full; and scatter, again between the two hands, ground
sugar, and after this sprinkle it with rosewater.  Then boil sweet
butter and good honey, pour into the muqawwara and when it makes a
boiling sound, go back to putting the topping on top, and pour the rest
of the honey and butter over the topping, sprinkle with sugar, and
present it.

This recipe, with my redaction thereof, appeared in a T.I. article
entitled "Some Recipes of al-Andalus" about eight years ago; the article
has been Webbed by Greg Lindahl, and is on his cookery page.

					mar-Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib
                                                 Stephen Bloch
                                           sbloch at panther.adelphi.edu
					 http://www.adelphi.edu/~sbloch/